Saturday, March 21, 2009

Kelly Osbourne talks about years of addiction

Kelly OsbourneKelly Osbourne has admitted that despite attending rehab twice before her 30-day stint earlier this year, she is now truly clean of her addiction to painkillers for the first time. "I knew if I didn't get help, I would die," she told People magazine. "I'm getting a second chance [at my career] and I want to be present for it."

Osbourne said that her troubles started in her early teen years after she had surgery to get her tonsils out and noticed that when she was on painkillers, she was a different person.

"I had my tonsils taken out [at age 13], and they gave me liquid Vicodin," the 24-year-old, who also went to rehab in 2004 and 2005, said about her the first time she used the drug. "I found, when I take this, people like me. I'm having fun, I'm not getting picked on. It became a confidence thing."

News broke in January that Osbourne had also been arrested in London for allegedly slapping a British gossip columnist in August 2008. A few days later, Osbourne checked herself into rehab.

At the time, her mother, Sharon, wouldn't say why her daughter was seeking treatment, but did address the fact that her daughter needed help. "She knew that it was the right thing to do at this point, and we're proud that she did it. The family is all standing behind her. Kelly knew that she needed help and she's getting it. ... We just pray that everything's going to be OK."
source

No comments: